Since we’re mostly stuck at home and cannot practice or study in-person, we’ve decided to start an online book club to read and discuss Fiore. We started with the longsword sections (sword in one hand, sword in two hands, sword vs armor) with primary interest on the art itself and secondary interest in application to SCA combat forms. For more information see our Facebook page for the book club at https://www.facebook.com/Virtual-Book-Club-Fiore-105687057975899
For people unable to get a book in time for the club, I have made slides for the meetings. The slides are just close crops of the plates from the Getty museum’s own scans plus Hatcher’s translation for the text, my highlighting of the move instructions in the text, and a few pictures of our group doing a particular play or two.
Meetings are at 7pm Eastern US Time every other Sunday evening
- Meeting 1 – Oct 11: Intro to Fiore and Longsword Postas (Getty pg. 23v-24v)
- Meeting 2 – Oct 25: Sword in One Hand (without videos) Part 1, Part 2 (with videos) (Getty pg. 20r-21v)
- Meeting 3 – Nov 8: Sword in Two Hands pt 1 (Getty pg. 25r-26v)
- Meeting 4 – Nov 22: Sword in Two Hands pt 2 (Getty pg. 26v-30v)
- Meeting 5 – Dec 6: Armored Sword (Getty pg. 32v-35r)
- (Holiday Break)
- Meeting 6 – Jan 10, ’21: Sword in Two Hands – Largo (Getty pg. 25r-26v) repeat
- Meeting 7 – Jan 24: Grappling and Baton (Getty pg. 6r-8r)
- Meeting 8 – Feb 7: Dagger part 1 (Getty pg. 9r-11r)
- (no meeting Feb 21)
- Meeting 9 – Mar 7: Dagger part 2 (Getty pg. 11v-14r)
- Meeting 10 – Mar 21: Dagger part 3 (Getty pg. 14v, 38, 15r-16r)
- (No Easter meeting, Apr 4)
- Meeting 11 – Apr 11: Dagger part 4 (Getty pg 16v-20r-a)
- Meeting 12 – Apr 25: Spear and Poleaxe (Getty pg 31r-v, 35v-40r)
- Meeting 13 – May 16: Mounted combat (Getty pg 41r-47r)
- Meeting 14 – June 6: Spear and Poleaxe (Getty pg 31r-v, 35v-40r) repeat.
We’ve now completed our full pass through the Getty manuscript and are no longer meeting. At some point in the future we may repeat all or part of the book club if there is interest. Let us know.